Design Principles: Task #4 Harmony & Unity

 18.09.2020 - 25.09.2020

Seerat Tayyab Mukhtar Qureshi - 0345576 (BDCM)

Design Principles


Lecture #4: Harmony & Unity 


1. Harmony & Unity

Harmony and unity work hand in hand. Harmony involves elements that share a common trait, whilst unity occurs when these elements are composed in such a way that they give a feeling of balance and one ness. 

Fig 1.0: Harmony & unity
SOURCE: Lecture slides

Fig 1.1: Harmony & unity
SOURCE: Lecture slides


Instructions:

Module Information Booklet




Exercise: Harmony & unity

1. Harmony

I started with some thumbnail sketches to explore some of my ideas.

Fig 1.2: Sketch progress

For me, when I thought of harmonious compositions, I think of natural landscapes so these were two of my ideas (top left and top right). However, I thought these compositions would be a bit simple and not really unique so I tried to think of some other ideas. 


Fig 1.3: Revised idea

I came up with the idea of doing a landscape design but adding a Japanese temple as the central subject. These temples are symmetrical in their geometry and very balanced. This way I could make a harmonious composition without it being too simple. Ms. Jinchi also agreed that they are very stable and balanced forms and that my idea was good to go on with. 

I looked through Pinterest to find some inspiration and references for my temple design.

Fig 1.4: Inspiration
SOURCE: https://ar.pinterest.com/pin/26599454038917495/

I also remembered seeing a similar design in Spirited Away. 

Fig 1.5: Spirited Away Bath house
SOURCE: https://ar.pinterest.com/pin/75364993753546752/

I then sketched out my idea on paper. 

Fig 1.6: Sketching 

I made sure all the elements of the temple were balanced and symmetrical as well.  I then used acrylic paint to add colour. 

Fig 1.7: Final Design, Harmony 

2. Unity


Fig 1.8: Unity sketches

I had a few ideas for unity and I showed them to Ms. Jinchi, she liked my idea in the centre middle of the colourful houses. She advised that to make my design unique, I could also experiment with a similar Japanese temple style instead of the plain houses. 

My inspiration for the houses came from the Bo-Kaap area I visited in Cape Town.

Fig 1.9: Bo Kaap houses, Inspiration
SOURCE: https://ar.pinterest.com/pin/22869910596036807/

I started by sketching out a general shape. I then added some flair to the rooftops inspired by my temple design. 
Fig 2.0: Sketching


FIg 2.1: Final work

The sky from some reason keeps appearing quite streaky and patchy in the scan, however in real life it is relatively smooth. 

Reflection: To be candid, I don't think my idea for Unity was as well executed as I would've liked it to be. I don't mind the final outcome but it is slightly different from my original vision. Nevertheless, I want to use it as a lesson for the future that even if things don't go perfectly according to my ideas and plans, I should still try because the outcome can still be fruitful. For the next tasks, I want to be able to perfectly execute my ideas which I know can be achieved through practice and patience. 

Comments

Popular Posts